Camp Hill (1863 - 1864)

Updated: August 10, 2011

In late 1863, military officials ordered the 24th Ohio Independent Battery of Ohio Volunteer Artillery to Johnson's Island, a Northern prison camp in Lake Erie, near Sandusky, Ohio. Authorities feared a prisoner uprising on the island and hoped that the 24th could assist in preventing any disturbance.

In late 1863, military officials ordered the 24th Ohio Independent Battery of Ohio Volunteer Artillery to Johnson's Island, a Northern prison camp in Lake Erie, near Sandusky, Ohio. Authorities feared a prisoner uprising on the island and hoped that the 24th could assist in preventing any disturbance. Arriving at the prison on November 11, 1863, the 24th placed two gun crews on the island and four more at Cedar Point on the mainland to cover the entrance to the Sandusky Bay. After a few weeks, the 24th established Camp Hill, named for the battery's commander Captain J.L. Hill, near Sandusky, where the organization's members engaged in drill. The camp also served as a drill base for other military units assigned to Johnson's Island. The 24th remained at Camp Hill until August 6, 1864, when the organization transferred to Camp Chase, another Union prison camp located at Columbus, Ohio.

Cite this Entry

MLA Style

"Camp Hill," Ohio Civil War Central, 2019, Ohio Civil War Central. 15 Oct 2019 <http://www.ohiocivilwarcentral.com/entry.php?rec=824>

APA Style

"Camp Hill." (2019) In Ohio Civil War Central, Retrieved October 15, 2019, from Ohio Civil War Central: http://www.ohiocivilwarcentral.com/entry.php?rec=824

Comments powered by Disqus

Related Entries

Categories

Topics

Time Periods

Regions

Help support the ongoing development of Ohio Civil War Central by clicking the banner and then purchasing products from Amazon.com.

Ohio Civil War Central: An Encyclopedia of the American Civil War