With the Civil War’s outbreak, both the North and the South were ill prepared for the conflict. Ohio Governor William Dennison hoped to utilize the state’s militia forces to assist President Abraham Lincoln in reuniting the nation.
With the Civil War’s outbreak, both the North and the South were ill prepared for the conflict. Ohio Governor William Dennison hoped to utilize the state’s militia forces to assist President Abraham Lincoln in reuniting the nation. Unfortunately for Dennison, many of Ohio’s militia units were no longer in existence. Those units that continued to operate were primarily social organizations that rarely practiced military maneuvers. Following the Confederate attack on Fort Sumter in Charleston, South Carolina, in April 1861, President Lincoln called for seventy-five thousand volunteers to subdue the Confederate States of America. Despite the lack of a well-trained militia, Governor Dennison beseeched communities to send their militia companies to Columbus, Ohio for possible use by the North during the American Civil War.
To process Ohio’s volunteers, Governor Dennison ordered the creation of Camp Jackson at Columbus. To help speed soldiers’ inductions into Ohio’s military, Dennison soon authorized the establishment of other camps across the state, including Camp Mordecai Bartley at Mansfield, Ohio. The base remained in use throughout the Civil War. Officials named the camp in honor of former Ohio Governor Mordecai Bartley. In 1862, officials changed the camp's name to Camp Buckingham. The camp was located at 100 Reformatory Road in Mansfield, on land owned by T. Tingley, a local farmer.
Cite this Entry
"Camp Mordecai Bartley," Ohio Civil War Central, 2021, Ohio Civil War Central. 28 Nov 2021 <http://www.ohiocivilwarcentral.com/entry.php?rec=352>
"Camp Mordecai Bartley." (2021) In Ohio Civil War Central, Retrieved November 28, 2021, from Ohio Civil War Central: http://www.ohiocivilwarcentral.com/entry.php?rec=352