With the Civil War’s outbreak, both the North and the South were ill prepared for the conflict. Ohio Governor William Dennison hoped to utilize the state’s militia forces to assist President Abraham Lincoln in reuniting the nation.
With the Civil War’s outbreak, both the North and the South were ill prepared for the conflict. Ohio Governor William Dennison hoped to utilize the state’s militia forces to assist President Abraham Lincoln in reuniting the nation. Unfortunately for Dennison, many of Ohio’s militia units were no longer in existence. Those units that continued to operate were primarily social organizations that rarely practiced military maneuvers. Following the Confederate attack on Fort Sumter in Charleston, South Carolina, in April 1861, President Lincoln called for seventy-five thousand volunteers to subdue the Confederate States of America. Despite the lack of a well-trained militia, Governor Dennison beseeched communities to send their militia companies to Columbus, Ohio for possible use by the North during the American Civil War.
To process Ohio’s volunteers, Governor Dennison ordered the creation of Camp Jackson at Columbus. To help speed soldiers’ inductions into Ohio’s military, Dennison soon authorized the establishment of other camps across the state, including Camp Mansfield at Mansfield, Ohio. The base remained in use only during 1862. Officials named the camp in honor of the city of Mansfield. The camp was located at 700 Spring Mill Street in Mansfield. Before the Civil War, the land was owned by E.A. Stocking, a farmer.
Cite this Entry
"Camp Mansfield," Ohio Civil War Central, 2021, Ohio Civil War Central. 31 Jul 2021 <http://www.ohiocivilwarcentral.com/entry.php?rec=342>
"Camp Mansfield." (2021) In Ohio Civil War Central, Retrieved July 31, 2021, from Ohio Civil War Central: http://www.ohiocivilwarcentral.com/entry.php?rec=342