Tod Barracks

Updated: January 14, 2011

Constructed in 1863, Tod Barracks, located in Columbus, Ohio, served as a recruitment and discharge base for soldiers in the Ohio Volunteer Infantry. The site was named in honor of Ohio Governor David Tod.

Constructed in 1863, Tod Barracks,located in Columbus, Ohio, served as a recruitment and discharge base for soldiers in the Ohio Volunteer Infantry. The site was named in honor of Ohio Governor David Tod. Men from the 88th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry from nearby Camp Chase constructed the base, which consisted of an administration building, a parade ground, a guardhouse, two cafeterias, a hospital, officers’ quarters, a sutler’s store, several additional office buildings, and six barracks that could house up to 5,000 men. Tod Barracks encompassed nine acres along High Street in Columbus, in the vicinity of the modern-day Convention Center. A nine-foot tall wooden fence surrounded the entire site. Tod Barracks remained in operation through 1866, primarily serving as the discharge point for soldiers in the Ohio Volunteer Infantry during the base’s last two years of operation. By 1911, the entire site had been dismantled.

Cite this Entry

MLA Style

"Tod Barracks," Ohio Civil War Central, 2019, Ohio Civil War Central. 17 Oct 2019 <http://www.ohiocivilwarcentral.com/entry.php?rec=268>

APA Style

"Tod Barracks." (2019) In Ohio Civil War Central, Retrieved October 17, 2019, from Ohio Civil War Central: http://www.ohiocivilwarcentral.com/entry.php?rec=268

Comments powered by Disqus

Related Entries

Categories

Topics

Time Periods

Regions

Help support the ongoing development of Ohio Civil War Central by clicking the banner and then purchasing products from Amazon.com.

Ohio Civil War Central: An Encyclopedia of the American Civil War