Fought on October 7, 1864, during the Petersburg Campaign, the Battle of Darbytown and New Market Roads was Confederate General Robert E. Lee's last offensive north of the James River during the Civil War.
On March 10, 1864, President Abraham Lincoln appointed Ulysses S. Grant as General-in-Chief of the Armies of the United States. Grant brought with him, from his successes in the Western Theater of the war, a reputation for the doggedness that Lincoln was seeking in his generals. Unlike previous Union generals, whose leadership was marked by their own timidity, Grant was tenacious. Upon his arrival in Washington, Grant drafted a plan to get the various Union armies in the field to act in concert. He also devised his Overland Campaign to invade east-central Virginia. Unlike previous campaigns into that area, Grant's plan focused upon defeating General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, rather than capturing or occupying geographic locations. Grant instructed General George Meade, who commanded the Army of the Potomac, "Wherever Lee goes, there you will go also." Grant realized that, with the superior resources he had at his disposal, Lee was destined to lose a war of attrition, as long as Northern troops persistently engaged the Confederates.
On May 4, 1864, Grant launched his Overland Campaign, when the Army of the Potomac crossed the Rappahannock and Rapidan Rivers, occupying an area locally known as the Wilderness. For the next eight weeks the two sides engaged in a series of horrific battles that produced unprecedented numbers of casualties. Following a bloody frontal assault at Cold Harbor that cost the Federals an estimated thirteen thousand casualties, Grant abandoned his hope to defeat Lee's army head-on. Instead, Grant decided to isolate the Army of Northern Virginia at Richmond and, then, slowly to starve it into submission by cutting off its supply lines. The key to the plan was capturing Petersburg, Virginia. By early June 1864, Grant's forces were digging in around the east side of Petersburg.
Petersburg, Virginia, is located on the south bank of the Appomattox River, roughly twenty miles below Richmond. During the Civil War, the two cities were connected by the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad, which served as an important conduit for supplies to the Confederate capital. In addition to the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad, two other rail lines converged at Petersburg. The Weldon Railroad (also called the Petersburg and Weldon Railroad) connected Petersburg to the Confederacy's last linkage to overseas markets at Wilmington, North Carolina. Farther to the west, the South Side Railroad joined Petersburg to Lynchburg, Virginia and points west. If Grant could cut these rail lines, Lee would be forced to abandon Richmond.
Although Grant's focus during the summer and fall of 1864 was on cutting off supply routes into Petersburg, he also launched several assaults north of the James River against Richmond. Grant recognized that forcing Lee to defend two fronts would thin the Confederate defenses around Petersburg, thereby enhancing the Northerner’s expectations for success. At the Battle of Chaffin's Farm and New Market (September 29-30, 1864) Union soldiers captured Fort Harrison and other portions of Richmond's outer defenses along Darbytown and New Market Roads.
Darbytown and New Market Roads run roughly parallel to each other into Richmond from the southeast. The right flank of the Union lines outside of Richmond was anchored at Darbytown Road, several miles north of New Market Road. Attempting to regain the ground lost at the Battle of Chaffin's Farm and New Market Road, Lee ordered an offensive against the newly extended Federal lines one week later.
On October 7, 1864, two Confederate divisions, commanded by Major General Charles Field and Major General Robert Hoke, advanced down Darbytown Road. Supported by cavalry, Field's infantry turned the Union right flank and attacked 1,700 cavalrymen, commanded by Major General August Kautz, from the rear. Caught by surprise, the Federal troopers quickly retreated, leaving the Rebels in possession of the road and of eight Union cannons.
Following up on his initial success, Field turned south to attack Major General Alfred Terry’s infantry division along New Market Road. Armed with Spencer repeating rifles, Terry's well-entrenched soldiers presented a formidable obstacle. When Hoke failed to support Field's assault, the Yankees easily repulsed the outmanned Rebels. The battle ended before noon, when the Confederates withdrew to the Richmond defenses.
Despite the promising beginning for the Rebels, the Battle of Darbytown and New Market Roads was a resounding Union victory. The Confederacy lost an estimated seven hundred soldiers, including Brigadier-General John Gregg, who was killed during the fighting. The Union suffered only 458 casualties (forty-nine killed, 253 wounded, and 156 captured or missing). Beyond the uneven differences in casualty totals, Lee failed in his attempt to regain the ground that he lost at the Battle of Chaffin's Farm and New Market. The unsuccessful Rebel assault proved to be Lee's last offensive north of the James River during the Civil War.
Ohio units that fought in the Battle of Darbytown and New Market Roads included:
62nd Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry
67th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Cite this Entry
"Battle of Darbytown and New Market Roads," Ohio Civil War Central, 2022, Ohio Civil War Central. 28 Sep 2022 <http://www.ohiocivilwarcentral.com/entry.php?rec=1090>
"Battle of Darbytown and New Market Roads." (2022) In Ohio Civil War Central, Retrieved September 28, 2022, from Ohio Civil War Central: http://www.ohiocivilwarcentral.com/entry.php?rec=1090